Thursday, December 8, 2011
Ideas for great hallway behavior...anyone?
I am subbing right now and was wondering if there are some effective ways to keep classes quiet in the hallway. I usually have the line leader stop at "check points" this works well!! What are some ways to keep them silent and in a straight line? Thanks so much!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
♡Daily Encouragement

4 comments:
Sometimes if I have to wait for extended periods of time with my kiddos while they are in line I play the "Quiet Game." Basically you pick one child to watch the whole line, they look for the child who is standing straight, arms folded, with their voice off. They say that child's name and swap places. I ask the boys to pick girls and vice versa. The kids enjoy it and it keeps them quiet and in line.
I also teach them ASL colors, numbers, and animals.
My second graders loved to play Sneak Attack. I challenged them to sneak down the hall and into the room without anyone hearing them and sit quietly until recognized.
Pick a mystery student and watch them carefully. If they made it down the hall correctly then give the class a point. When they reach a certain amount reward the class with a small prize. (Simon says, graveyard, hangman, I have who has, higher lower, etc.)
Life with Mrs. L
Your blog is very cute!! I am awarding you the Liebster Award. Check out my blog to see the details.
Always,
Brenna
Team Johnson
I just found your blog and am your newest follower! I subbed for a semester after graduating and learned more during that time than any college class I took! God had the perfect job for me and I cannot imagine being anywhere else!
One of Our School Family Jobs is the Line Helper. This is always the third person in line and they have permission to step out of the line and help others but they must do this without any sounds. They remind them to put their feet on the blue street and in their house(tile square) and to put their tiger's in their den (hands behind their backs). My kiddos know that when we switch jobs I won't hire them to be the Line Helper if they have not been helpful and quiet in the line.
We also play Teacher vs Students. We play for tally marks to see which team can be the quietest from checkpoint to checkpoint. They LOVE trying to beat me!
Every now and then we have a marshmallow day. Quiet feet and voices in the hall earn a marshamallow treat.
I hope this helps! I would love for you to come visit my blog. I have TONS of *freebies* and would love for you to read about Conscious Discipline. It is the most amazing thing I have ever learned and it has impacted my classroom greatly. It is all about building your School Family.
Happy New Year!
Heather
Heather's Heart
Depends on the grade level and the time of year. I have K-3 classes (I'm the music teacher)and at this time of year, after the Christmas break, I tell them I'm always looking for someone who is ready for the next grade. We also compare the sound in our lines to those going down the hall. I tell them I KNOW that they can go just as quiet or quieter and wonder if they can go so quietly that no one will even know they are in the hall. I sometimes have to remind them to use "marshmallow feet". Marshmallows, if they could walk, wouldn't make any sound, of course.
I like the idea from Heather about the Line Helper. I might try that one.
Post a Comment
Thanks for the sweet note ♥